Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rustic with a Touch o' Whimsy~ Antique Dresser Makeover

I have been busy the last week taking advantage of the nice weather to finish some projects. With the nice weather officially gone, now I will have time to show some of them to you. This dresser is another one of my auction finds. She is solid oak with lovely serpentine front drawers. Here is the before~
My original plan for this piece was to paint her turquoise and use some lovely twig shaped handles on the larger drawers and some sweet rosebuds on the top. Things rarely go as planned once I start a transformation. Does that happen with anyone else? I did paint with this wonderful $5 turquoise oops paint.
Oops paint is the custom colored paint they mix for someone that doesn't come out just right. My local Lowes and Home Depot price their gallons at $5 each. Do you know that feeling you get when you drive by a great thrift shop or yard sale and you just have to stop? Well I am starting to feel that same way when I drive by hardware stores. I just have to pop in and see what color paint they have messed up today! I have accumulated quite a collection.
It is a dangerous situation for me to have so many options on hand! Enter problem number one, my sweet twig handles are 1/8 of and inch to small for the original holes. Now y'all (contraction for  you all) know how I feel about hole filling right? I had to change my original plan to match the hardware that would fit, which was a bit more on the rustic side. Here is the hardware I used, this was after giving it a copper glaze.
To take the dresser from botanical/beachy to rustic I decided to dry brush with some cranberry paint I had on hand due to my oops paint addiction. Here is the cranberry right after I brushed it on, which is the last picture I took of the process.

Then I sanded to feather it in a bit. I also distressed the edges with my sanding block. I was pretty satisfied with the look at this point, so sorry no pics to share. Later in the evening close to midnight I was in the garage laying out the new hardware to get an idea of the finished look. At this point, I decided the colors were too dark. So I dry brushed  on some yellow, much better but still missing something. I ended up heavily glazing the entire piece with copper glaze. It turned out so great, the metallic glint just set it off. I also painted the drawer insides yellow (oops paint again) and lined them with this beautiful red toile fabric that a friend of mine picked up for me at a thrift store a while back. I also have a bit of a fabric addiction, so many confessions in one post! Here are the drawers~
Don't you just love these fun colorful knobs, did I mention that I am a bit of a sucker for hardware too? I just pulled these out of my stash~
Here are some more pics~























Furniture Feature Fridays

50 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

LOOOOOOOOVE the finish on this, chrissie! you did an amazing job as always! i love your eclectic style.

Katie said...

These colors are great!! I love it!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Love the depth of color and the lovely lined drawers!

lauren@WESTFURNITUREREVIVAL said...

very cute. love the colors.

Terry said...

This is a very interesting finish you put on this oak dresser. I really think it's neat.

Allison said...

Love this piece! I like the different layers of color and the great finish you've created. I just bought those same knobs last weekend, They're so fun! Your drawers look great as usual and I like the pop of yellow inside. Do you modge podge your fabric and paper?

Krafty Kat said...

So whimsical! Love it!

Maggie said...

amazing what you created with layers of colours.
Don't forget to link it in our linking party this week.

http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/02/fun-ideas-for-valentine-day-2011be.html

Maggie

Artichoke Alley said...

You are so brave and with such great results!! Very eclectic and sure to go fast!

Inspired by you said...

How fun! I love your color choices.

Biljana said...

I love it, so beautiful:-)
Hugs, Biljana

Kim @ Second Time Furniture said...

What a fun piece! Looks awesome, and again, love the inside~so colorful!

Katie said...

I know I've already been by to tell you I love this piece (I like it more each time I look at it)! Just wanted to tell you I nominated you for the stylish blogger award!! Come check it out if you want to!

http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2011/02/me-stylish-blogger.html

Restyled Vintage said...

that is so cute and I LOVE those knobs, just perfect!

xx Karen

oops! said...

To Die For!

Jean said...

great job on that. It's cute, funky, and beautiful. I love a good dresser makeover. this is among the best! thanks for sharing!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Love what you did with that piece!! And that oops paint was a FAB find!!

Erin said...

I LOVE the finish!! It's absolutely gorgeous!! And the fabric in the drawers in fantastic!

Do you just lay the fabric in or do you use spray adhesive to make it stick? I'm curious how you do that.

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Awesome. Like the rainbow colors.

A Vintage Vine said...

The hardware fits perfectly! The colors of this piece are so really perfect! Visiting from Inspirational Friday!

At The Picket Fence said...

Gorgeous! My daughter has an antique dresser with attached mirror in her room that is almost identical to this and I would love to do something to it but don't dare! It's a family hierloom and I think my mom would pass out if I touched it. :-) What you did was beautiful though and I'm so glad you linked it up to Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

AllieMakes! said...

You did a great job! I love the inside of the drawers!
You should come link this up to my weekly Thursday through Sunday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Courtney said...

Hi Chrissie- love love LOVE the finish on this little chest!! Oh so shabby and sweet- and I do like those handles with the glaze- remind me of old bin drawers! Great job- thanks for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Elizabeth said...

Hi...so I'm a new-ish follower and I stop by every now and then but THIS piece made me stop in my tracks! I'm in love with the colors & the drawer pulls - LOVE them! You are making me wish there wasn't 2 feet of snow and weeks {and weeks} away from garage sale season! Nice job :)

The Autocrat: Haley said...

So fabulous!

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Chrissie, this just might be my favorite of yours yet. I would be so nervous adding the different colors like you did. I always love to see what you're going to do with the inside of the drawers...love that toile. You find some really great pieces to work on!

NYCLQ said...

GREAT finish!! Looks wonderful!
:D Lynda

Creations from my heart said...

Love the inside of the drawers. I am in the middle of a bedroom transformation and would love to line the drawers. How do you attach the fabric? Do you turn the edges under?
Thanks for the help.
Sherry

Cozy Home Scenes said...

Love the colors and painting technique you used. I also like the drawer lining, though for me, I'd be a bit afraid of the fabric getting dirty or torn with me throwing my junk in the drawers every day. Still, it is a fun look!

The Teacher's Wife said...

LOVE what you did with the dresser.
AND the knobs!

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

Fun piece, Chrissie! I saw a dresser like this in Boulder... which is a very artisitic area, here. Love the depth of color! Looks great!
~Michelle :)

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Wow! You did a great job! I love it.

Christina @ The Tattered Tag said...

Funky chic! Love this treasure! Thrilled to be a new follower. Please share your amazing creativity with my followers, link to my blog bash K.I.S.S. I also host The Homespun Slate @ The Tattered Tag, a neat gathering spot for on-line specialty shops to link up. :)

http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

Mary said...

I really like the knobs on this piece. Did you just use regular acrylic paint? Great piece :D

Honey at 2805 said...

Really is a nice redo with an interesting color finish which I like. The whimsical knobs are perfect for it.

Erika . . . with a K said...

Great job, the color is so fun. love the antique rustic look!

Laurie at Turner Farm said...

What a fun twist ~ the knobs are wonderful. Looks great. Stopping by from Coastal Charm

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

That's some pretty oops paint...her makeover looks wonderful...thanks for showing her off at NTT!

Blessings,
Linda

Serendipity Chic Design said...

You've done it again Chrissie! The detail you add is beyond amazing! Those knobs ad the lining are killer!

Take care,
Lisa

Vintagesouthernlife said...

beautiful colors and the knobs are just perfect!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That looks so good. Great finish. It really does look like it aged naturally that way. Cute knobs. Thanks so much for joining the party. I would love for you to use my party button next time instead of my blog button.

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Fab job!! You are amazing!

Curtains In My Tree said...

I love seeing the befores and afters and yours is very interesting. No way could I combine those colors and make it look that good. I love the choice of knobs

Janice

Mallorie said...

This looks wonderful!!!! What did you use to line the insides of the drawers? I am in the process of re-doing a dresswer and I would LOVE to have toile inside!

http://the-happyhome.blogspot.com

Thanks! Mallorie :-)

Debbie @ http://refreshrestyle.com/ said...

Love the colors!

Jen T said...

That is flippin fabulous! I love the colors and you did a great job blending them! JenT

Its So Very Cheri said...

The knobs are a perfect it and the color combination is quite pretty and very unique.

Cheri

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love those colors together! I have a piece that is waiting for something like this!

Amanda said...

I've put together a round up of pretty dresser revamps on Craft Gossip today and included your project. :) You can see it here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/6-beautiful-dresser-make-overs/

If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Connie said...

Oh my gosh, I just love this! Not sure how I got to your site/blog but sure am glad I did!

With that said - am I the only one who gets in somewhat of a panic mode when working on such a project (the colorful knobs for instance) and I'm using the ONLY one (or set, etc...) I have of these up? I keep joking that I am doing ok if you don't see my house on 'Hoarders' - I guess I have issues and that's why I have a hard time letting go of my babies ('projects') when I think they really are finished.
Thanks for all the info and sharing the pics too. I'm just envious - but learning!

Labels